Pawn Sacrifice: Sarsgaard and Schreiber to co-star
- Peter Sarsgaard and Liev Schreiber are in talks to join the cast of "Pawn Sacrifice".
Ed Zwick is directing the Cold-War chess drama, that has Tobey Maguire starring as chess genius Bobby Fischer.
In 1972, after a record-breaking winning streak, Fischer became the first American to reach the finals, setting the stage for a high-stakes showdown against the seemingly invincible Soviet master Boris Spassky.
- Schreiber is set to play Spassky and Sarsgaard will portray a priest who became a close confidant of Fischer's during the period.
Pawn Sacrifice: Edward Zwick to direct
- Edward Zwick is attached to direct "Pawn Sacrifice", about the chess battle between U.S. chess prodigy Bobby Fischer and Russia's Boris Spassky, in 1972.
David Fincher was previously attached to direct.
Tobey Maguire is set to play Fischer and the production team in now focusing on casting the second male lead.
Wed August 15, 2012 | Source: Variety
Pawn Sacrifice: David Fincher to direct and Tobey Maguire to star
- Tobey Maguire will star in "Pawn Sacrifice".
- The film is about the life of chess player Bobby Fischer who won the World Chess Championship over Russian Boris Spassky.
- David Fincher will direct the drama.
- Maguire and Jenno Topping are producing along with Gail Katz.
- Production will begin late this fall.